Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bad Hair Tag (And An Award!)

Dianne, my peep at the Deez Dayz blog, has tagged me for a new meme.
It's called the "Bad Hair Tag."

Dianne's post made Shannon and me laugh out loud. You have got to take a peek at this post for yourself. Dianne is hysterical! Click here to see Dianne's series of hair "mishaps."

Here are Dianne's rules for the "Bad Hair Tag."

Basically, you select 5 photos of yourself in which you think you have bad hair. You know, the ones that you look back at and wonder, "WHAT WAS I THINKING!" Yeah, those ones; come one now, I know you all have them.

Well, I have definitely had my share of "bad hair," so I am totally prepared to humiliate myself in front of tens of people on the World Wide Web. The hardest part of doing this tag for me was narrowing the choices down to just five. The 80s were very cruel to me and my hair.

I hope that those of you who read this blog will still want to come back occasionally once you have seen all of these ridiculous pictures of my tragic teenage years.

And I feel like I should just say in advance, Melissa had nothing to do with any of these unfortunate decisions that I made regarding my hair. She is a complete professional who would never send me out in public with such ridiculous pitiful hair dos.

Okay, here goes...I hope that you are all ready, and I would just like to apologize in advance.

1. The mullet. I feel certain that once I made my public debut with this hair do, the mullet craze ended. If I remember correctly the only other person that continued to sport this look after me was Billy Ray Cyrus. But in his defense, he probably never had the opportunity to see me out in public.



(Please just ignore the Colonel Sanders style bow ties that my mom and I are both sporting. We were not only hair victims of the 80s, we were also fashion victims. The 80s were just cruel.)

2. Height and wings. This next picture was taken when I had just learned to tease my hair to abnormal heights, and somehow I still managed to feather it at the same time. And remarkably, it only took one full can of Aqua Net hairspray to hold this ridiculous look in place.



(When this school picture was made, I was so excited to be wearing my Add-a-Bead necklace. Unfortunately though, due to the height of my hair, the photographer had to lower the stool I was sitting on to fit me and my hair into the picture. So, you can only see a small piece of one of my beads on the necklace.) Sigh.

3. Bangs (and nails). This next look is when I first discovered "bangs." Also at this time in my life, I had discovered that I could grow my fingernails to disgusting great lengths.



(It's hard to know what to look at in that picture, isn't it? You are probably having trouble deciding whether or not to stare at my bangs, my hideously long fingernails, or the gold rings on every single finger.)

4. Sun In (the aftermath). Like a million other girls in the late 80s, I was so proud to have discovered the hair lightening product called "Sun In." Unfortunately, what I didn't know at the beginning of my love affair with this product, was that it continues to lighten your hair every single time heat is applied to it. That being said, my senior year was spent in this "two toned" phase. I had to let the "Sun In" grow out....Very gradually.



(All of my senior year was spent sporting these "dark bangs" while the rest of my hair continued to get lighter and lighter and lighter.)

I would love to tell you that once I graduated from high school that my "hair dos" improved, but that would simply not be true.

Once in college, I had one career ambition and only one. I wanted to have hair like Tawny Kitaen in all of the Whitesnake videos. (Don't laugh; I'm baring my soul to you right now.)



I was obsessed. I was a girl on a mission. I desperately wanted to be able to flip my gorgeous long locks all over the place. (I, of course, knew I would never be able to do a cartwheel across two Jaguars, but I could definitely flip my hair with the best of them.) So the last hair do I have to show you is my attempt at having Tawny Kitaen style hair.

5. The Tawny Kitaen wannabe Hair Do. This last picture was obviously taken at a time in my life that was spent in deep denial. I was in a phase of growing out my perm (another unfortunate look for me) and getting my bangs to unbelievable heights.



(Obviously this hair was also during a time in my life when I had yet to discover the miracle of conditioner.)

Needless to say, I never achieved my career goals of obtaining Tawny Kitaen style hair. Also, needless to say, eye glasses were in my very near future, because no one with any kind of clear vision would have ever left the house looking like that.

Pitiful.

Okay, people now it's your turn. If you have bad hair in your past (and just so you know, you probably did), I am tagging you now.

All you have to do is find five bad hair photos and be willing to humiliate yourself by letting tens of people see them on the World Wide Web.

So, if you're willing, play along, and let me know if you do this tag, because I want to share with you in your time of public humiliation.;)

Just one more thing before you go, I received an award from Michele at the fabulous My Blessings From Above blog. Here it is in all of its glory!



Sigh.

Michele, I cannot thank you enough; after humiliating myself in front of tens of people on the internet, this award was just what I needed. :)

I can let you people in on a little secret about Michele too, she is going to be my special guest on an upcoming episode of "Inside The Actor's Blogger's Studio." But remember, you didn't hear that from me.;)

If you haven't been there already, Michele's blog is awesome. Michele is the mother of two beautiful little boys. She always shares some of the most creative homeschool, cooking, and gift giving ideas, and she has the ability to save money and stretch dollars, like no one I have ever seen before. She's a very special lady, so stop by and show her some bloggy love!

The rules for the "I Love Your Blog" award are:
1. Link back to the person who gave you the award.
2. Include the award on your blog.
3. Pass it on to 7 worthy bloggers with links to their blogs on yours.
4. Notify your recipients.


I don't know how to even begin picking "just" seven, because I LOVE all of the blogs I read. So, at risk of bending the rules a lot a little bit, I want to pass this award on to all of my bloggy buddies. So, if I am a regular reader of your blog, please accept this award from me.

And one more thing, let's just keep this "Bad Hair Tag" between us, Mmmmkay? Thanks!;)

21 comments:

Dee said...

I'm so sorry my friend, but I actually sat with my hand over my open mouth at some of these photos. The picture with the red fingernails, I am still in shock that that is really you.

But this post is definatley funny. And for the record, I think it is wonderful that Shannon cares enough to revel in my humiliation. ;o)

I dare him to post his own...

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Hilarious!!!...mostly because I have eerily similar photos at home. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

I am a newbie to your blog (fellow homeschooler) & must say I LOVE IT too!

LOVE the cruise pictures (envious) and fortunately my bad hair pictures have "disappeared". Yep that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Can't wait to read more.

Whitney said...

Hair-larious!!

My Blessings From Above said...

Well I actually love some of those pictures! Maybe its because I had several very similar pictures! I'd show you, but right now I am a disoragnized mess and am not sure where they are. I went though several years of having my hair frizzed....er..I mean permed! What was I thinking!!!!!!!
Love,
Michele

sa061545@bellsouth.net said...

Amy, that was hilarious! I always thought your hair was beautiful! :)
You have such a wonderful sense of humor!
Love,
Mom :)

Denise said...

Hi Amy. Thank you so much for today's post!! I am feeling a little "under the weather" today and this post is just what I needed to take the edge off. I am just laughing out loud at your comments about your hair pictures! You are the best.

Love,
Denise

Mia said...

You are truly the Bravest Woman on the Web!!
What fun!
I will dig some hair horrors up as soon as I can.
I can't wait until Michele's Blogger Studio interview.
Amy Who? you just make my day : )
Love ya,
Mia

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

What a fun and cute post. Yeah for you...it takes a confident woman to show all those old pix of hair-raising mistakes. And congrats on your award.

valerie said...

Oh boy, do I ever have some I could dig up. I used to be skinny and I had big, very big hair.
When I was younger it was long and thin and my ears stuck out. Then, remember my best friend who got married and I was her maid of honor and I decided to cut my own bangs? What was I thinking? It had never worked for me before. ;)
Then several years ago I worked with a lady who was just a little bit of a smart *elick* and one day at work I was complaining about my hair and she said, "Well, if you'd just fix it." I was a much quieter, reserved person back then. Now, no tellin' what I'd say back and it probably wouldn't be very Christian like. LOL! Like I didn't TRY to fix it every day!
This was a fun post!
Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog. I always love to read them. San Antonio was just great!
Love,
Valerie

Tina said...

Um...wow??

You really went through all the phases, didn't you!?

You are such a great sport airing all that hair...very fun!!

Congrats on the award, I just got one of those too!!

Have a fantastic day, friend!

Kristen said...

I am so doing this! I was going through a box of photos the other and found a few of me w/ hairstyles I would like to forget! I will get them posted soon!
You are a brave woman! Didn't everyone have what I call "Mall Hair" the teased bangs and the perm. We also called it the "Hoosier Do" but I see it transcends state lines!

God love ya,
K

Unknown said...

Wasn't this a flashback. I can't believe I was seen in public with you looking like that. I remember the nails and rings. You though you looked so good didn't you. It still laugh when I think back at the times we would be at a red light and you would say are the people in the other car looking and if I said yes you would flip your hair wanting to be Tawny so bad.

Lelia Chealey said...

AMY!!!
I seriously am wiping the tears from my eyes. Oh my goodness, I needed this laugh today!! In picture #1, do happen to have knickers on with argyle socks??? If so, I had the same outfit...ribbon bow and all!
OH and the nails and gold rings. I have one of those too Amy. I'll have to dig through some pic's.
You're too funny my friend, and your current hair style is really working for you, so don't ever go back in time! ;)

Tracey said...

I wish I could scan my old pictures into my computer...I have one where I look just like Lief Garrett (sex symbol of 70's...now drug addict)...I feel your pain. Love the long nails....bangs....they are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

OH AMY!!! I LOVE YOU!!!! You never fail to crack me up. I love your bloggy award too; although I almost couldn't see it because of all the tears that were streaming down my face by the time I finally got to that part. LMAO!!!

Gina said...

Okay, I have to admit I have not laughed that hard in awhile. Even Bob got a kick out of it. :) I admire your boldness. I was a child of the 80's too, so I know all about Aqua Net and big bangs.

Thank goodness you have Melissa now. :) Thanks for the chuckle! :)

God bless,
Gina

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

This was so cute! Love the pic's! I won't dare go this route with my poofy hair pictures...I'm too vain I guess.

Love you comment on my blog about the stain glass windows compared to brokenness. Thank you!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Amy, you were just a cute little thing. Hadn't changed a bit! We definitely grew up in the same error. I remember those shirts!

piper said...

#5 is wonderful wonderful wonderful! I really did LOL.

Wonderful post! You're gorgeous :)

sa061545@bellsouth.net said...

Oh my goodness - even 4 years later it's just as hysterical!!!
Love it!
Mom