Monday, May 5, 2008

Here's How It Happened, Part One....

In a previous post, I told you about Melissa. Melissa is my hairdresser, but most importantly she is my friend.

Over the last few years we have gotten to know each other very well. We have a lot in common, the most important thing being our relationships with the Lord.

Melissa has had a very tough year. She has struggled in some areas in her life, and I have to say, she has conducted herself in a manner that I know is so pleasing to God.
I have been blessed to see her lean on God and trust Him through circumstances that I know have been truly difficult for her.

So, when I found out she was being taken on an amazing trip, I was so thrilled for her! She was going on the trip of a lifetime. Her aunt and uncle were treating her and her cousin to a dream vacation by any standard.

And not just any dream vacation, but my dream vacation. She was going on a trip that Shannon and I have both dreamed of going on one day.

But as I tell you she was going on my dream trip, I was absolutely so pleased that God had given the trip to her. I could not think of anybody that I thought deserved the trip more.

One evening, not long after finding out about her trip, Melissa called me to see how I was doing.....I was not doing well. (Let me just say that I am the mother of a twelve year old, and I'll leave it at that.) I had had a rough day. So when she asked how I was doing, I said, "I don't want to talk about me; tell me about your trip." I told her to tell me about all the places she would be seeing.

Melissa told me that she would be going to Washington, D.C. for three days, and then she would fly to New York. From New York she would fly to Madrid, Spain, then fly from Madrid to Rome, Italy. In Italy she would then get on a cruise ship for a twelve day cruise all over the Mediterranean Sea. The ship would stop in ports all over Italy, Croatia, France, and Spain. After getting off of the ship, they were going to stay in Rome, Italy for two days, and then take a train to Milan, Italy for two more days, then come home. In all she would be gone from home for twenty-four days.

I was so overwhelmed just hearing about it. I told her what a blessing God had given her with this opportunity to see some of the most beautiful places in the world. I was thrilled for her. I was also thrilled for me, because I thought about how cool it was that she would go before me; so that when Shannon and I could finally go, she could tell us all the things we would need to know before traveling.

I told her that I wanted her to do a few things for me while she was away. The number one thing was that I wanted her to write my name in the sand along the Mediterranean and take a picture of it for me. I loved the idea of my name being there; it would be like I was in that sand for a moment in time.:)

For days after hearing about this trip, I told everyone I knew about it. I was just so excited for her and this opportunity she had been blessed with. I was also so amazed at just how awesome our God is. He knew the tough year that she had gone through, and it was amazing to see Him honor her faithfulness. Such a blessing to witness!

About a week or so after Melissa told me about this adventure she was going to be embarking on, she called me.

She asked if I was sitting down...........

16 comments:

Mia said...

oh no you didn't!! I know you are not going to make me wait until tomorrow to read what happens next. You really are bad!! oh by the way I have a 13 year old so I'm right there with you sister.

sa061545@bellsouth.net said...

What a great lead-in for the next chapter!!!! Love you!!
MOM :)

valerie said...

Amy....you can't leave us hanging like that!
Wow, that is a dream trip! 24 days!
Ok...I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. :( I'm not very good at waiting.

Laura said...

You are a cruel cruel woman. You know what we're thinking, don't you? What an awesome trip! As I read all about it, it sounded like a fairy tale to me. Do people really get to do things like that?! Sigh. Just hearing about it gives me enough daydream fodder to last a lifetime. Tell,tell,tell!

Gina said...

Are you seriously gonna leave me hanging like that ?! That is way harsh! Let me just say that my dh and I took a Mediterranean cruise last year and it was amazing!! I'll be back tomorrow to get the rest of the story. :)

Gina

My Blessings From Above said...

Can't wait to hear the rest of your story, Amy! :)

Paula V said...

Oh you meany!!! I hope the ending is good...the whole "are you sitting down" is kind of scary.

I'll be talking to ya later today. I have a meeting to prep then will be back in touch with you.
Paula

Tina said...

Oh man!
If I had time to sit on the edge of my chair for 24 hours, I would, but good grief, lady!!

:)

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Arrg! I have to wait? By the way, I have dreamed of a very similar trip.

Jamie said...

I can't believe you did that...left me hanging like that!!! Can't wait to read the rest of the story.

Tricia said...

ok, that is just cruel!!! Come on...spill it : )

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

OK...I'll wait alongside everyone else. I'm good for the waiting. In fact, I've perfected it!

My friends went to Israel last year (my dream vacation) and all I asked for was some water from the Jordan. She brought it back in a medicine bottle. It now has its home upon my mantle in a cute bottle with a wax molding to secure the cork. (I don't want my Jordan water to evaporate...I might need a drink of it down the road!).

Until tomorrow...

peace~elaine

Chris and Wanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Thanks for visiting my blog too!
I jumped to your blog from Pioneer Woman's site. I have to tell you though, we made your cheese dip recipe this weekend and it got me a hug and a nice kiss from my hubby! So it's a keeper!
I added you to my favs too because I like the way you did your recipes in your sidebar......am working on my recipe blog and hope to publish it soon!
Great to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I can't believe you just left us hangin' like that.

Okay, okay......I'm sitting down....what next????

http://boydsbabblings.blogspot.com/

Dee said...

Oh I can hardly wait, I'm on the edge of my chair!