Friday, May 9, 2008

Just A Simple Observation........

Trying to prepare for my upcoming trip, Shannon's work related travel, various doctor's appointments, and trying to finish up school with my boys has left me a little overwhelmed this week, so I do not have a Bible study post to share with you today. When I return from my journey, I will post again about what I am learning through my studies of the women in the Bible. So today, instead of a devotional post, I will share with you something that I observed around my home.

I hope you enjoy it.
God Bless, Amy:)

We always have a lot of these gorgeous butterflies around our home.



They fly away.......



and then they come back......



with more of their butterfly buddies.



What is interesting to me, is what attracts them to our yard. You probably can't tell by just looking at the pictures, but it is not the beautiful surroundings. What attracts them to our yard is our dog Allie's pee and poop waste.

I remember thinking one day, as I watched a lot of them flying all around her pee and poop waste, how odd it is that these beautiful, delicate creatures spend all their time in search of such disgusting things. I mean with all of the beautiful greenery around our country home, they want to sit and feed on Allie's pee and poop waste.

Then God pointed out to me how hypocritical and judgmental I was being towards these beautiful creatures......It was almost as if I heard Him say, "Amy, isn't that exactly what you do sometimes?.....I created you in My image, but look what some of your time is spent doing....gossiping, watching inappropriate television programs, worrying, not helping out at church as much as you should, reading romance novels instead of reading My Word........"

Proverbs 15:14
The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly.


Then I thought about how the butterfly leaves the pee and poop waste, only to come back with more buddies to enjoy it with.

As Christians, don't we do this same thing?......Sometimes we drag our friends and family members into things that are "wasteful" activities, because we don't want to be alone in them. And sometimes we follow our friends and family members into these same types of "wasteful" activities, because we don't want to feel left out, or seem different than anybody else.

Proverbs 13:20
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.


I looked up the definition of waste on Wikipedia.
Waste is an unwanted or undesired material or substance. It is also referred to as rubbish, trash, garbage, or junk depending upon the type of material and the regional terminology. In living organisms, waste relates to unwanted substances or toxins that are expelled from them.

So much time in our lives is wasted on waste.

Humbling, isn't it?

There is so much to learn about life from just a simple observation........

13 comments:

Tina said...

Stunning observation.

Those butterflies ARE beautiful!

I've become more aware of the 'waste' in my life recently...and lots of it has been cut. :)

valerie said...

That was really good, Amy.
The butterflies are beautiful.
I was thinking about this very subject last night after I watched "Grey's Anatomy." It's just the same thing over and over and last night's episode was just too much (for me).
So, this was just a little echo of what I was feeling last night.
Thanks and have a good weekend and a very Happy Mother's Day!
Love,
Valerie

Tracey said...

You can learn so much from so little if your willing to really listen to what God is trying to say! God Bless

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Your butterflies are absolutely beautiful!! Your devotion very real to life...waste. Something to ponder today. Thank you.

In His Graces~Pamela

Unknown said...

Amy, you always have something wonderful to share, and so insightful. I just saw one of those yellow butterflies in my backyard yesterday! Makes me feel even more connected to you. Now every time I see one of those butterflies, I will always think of you, my "mariposa" friend!

sa061545@bellsouth.net said...

Amy, that was an EXCELLENT observation!!!! I LOVE the gorgeous butterflies but would have never thought to see them as you did. Even if you didn't post your usual Bible study post today, you still got through to us God's glory through your eyes! How right you are!!! I love you baby girl!
Mom :)

Mia said...

Everyone has their weakness and mine used to be books. I would read whatever came along. I realized that I should be guarding my heart and mind better. That song for little children should be for EVERYONE
Be careful little eyes what you see
Be careful little ears what you hear!!!! : )
Thanks for the reminder to keep our temple clean!

My Blessings From Above said...

That was profound Amy! As you know I have been decluttering the waste in my home and I have been doing the same in my heart. Your post really has spoken to me today.

Oh and one good thing about you being gone for 24 long days is that I can go back and read your bible studies and catch up! :)

Paula V said...

That was a great post and very biblically applicable. I love the beauty of butterflies. Your blue one is especially eye catching.

I love your statement that much of our life is wasted on waste. Very humbling. We should strive to make every moment count for His glory as we never know when our last moment will be.

Jamie said...

So true, so true...you have given me much to think about today.

Hope you have an amazing Mother's day!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Uplifting! Amazing!

Thanks for sharing.
Yvette

LynnSC said...

Hi Amy,

I jumped over from Elaine's blog. I'm glad that I did... I loved your post. I connected with your comments about finances. My husband has lost a tremendous amount of income over the last two years... it just keeps getting worse... but God just keeps getting better.

Your observation was awesome. Thanks so much for sharing it.
Lynn

LynnSC said...

I had to come back by to say that I love the daisies... they are my absolute favorites... and the Bridget Jones movies are my favorites too.

I'll be back...