Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Here's How It Happened, Part Two......

So I sat down, and asked her what was going on.........

She said, "Well, my cousin has decided to not go on the trip, and I was wondering if you would like to go?"......(I'm not sure if these were her exact words, because I experienced a little "shock" during this conversation, but you at least get my point.)

I was speechless......And if you have read this blog even one time, then you know being at a loss for words is not a problem I generally suffer with.

After catching my breath and figuring out how to speak again I said, "Of course, I would love to go, but a trip to the Mediterranean is not exactly in our budget right now." (My family and I have had to deal with a difficult financial situation this past year due to some issues that came about at my husband's job.)

Melissa calmly said, "No, you don't understand. It's paid for."

Once again, I was rendered speechless.

I asked her to please explain what she meant very slowly and clearly, because I was having a hard time comprehending the English language at this point.

She proceeded to tell me that since her cousin backed out, her aunt and uncle would lose the money that they had spent for her portion of the trip. So they would rather somebody get to go and enjoy it, plus it would be more fun for Melissa to have a friend along as well. She also explained that although the cruise and hotels would be completely paid for, I would be responsible for my airfares and any spending money for excursions off of the ship.

Melissa said, "Amy, I want you to get to go and write your own name in the sand!"

She really wanted me to go (and I really wanted to go), but I told her that I would have to pray about it, and obviously talk to Shannon as well.

When I hung up the phone from that conversation, I immediately closed my eyes and started talking to God. I asked Him for direction and for a confirmation from Him if this is something that He wanted me to do. Even though the majority of the trip was being paid for, I still had to come up with airfare and spending money, and with our budget being tight, this was a real concern. Not to mention being away from home for twenty-four days. In. A. Row.

After praying, I went straight to my Bible and devotional books.
I opened "Our Daily Bread," and it was a devotional titled "Sheer Delight." This devotional message was based on Psalm 37:4.

Delight yourself . . . in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. —Psalm 37:4

David encouraged us in Psalm 37 to delight in the Lord and not to envy others (vv.1-4). Although he was talking about envying people who get away with evil, we can apply it to other types of envy. Instead of comparing ourselves with others, we need to delight ourselves in God. In His time, He’ll fulfill the desires of our heart and affirm that we are in His will.
We’re all in “God’s service” as believers. And serving Him is a sheer delight. — Anne Cetas


At the end of this passage the author, Anne Cetas, says, "Contentment comes when God's will is more important than our wants."

God revealed to me at this very moment, that He was fulfilling the desires of my heart, but that it came as a result of my contentment in Him. Like I told you yesterday, I was thrilled for Melissa. When I found out about this amazing trip that she had been blessed with, there was no envy in my heart.......At other times in my life, I have felt envious of people who had things that I wanted. But after the difficult financial situation that we have been through this past year, God has shown me what really matters in life. The amount of money in my bank account does not matter to God, however, the amount of my faith in Him does.

After praying and talking it over with Shannon, we both agreed that this was a gift from God, and that I should definitely accept it.

The next morning, I called Melissa as the rooster crowed very early, and I told her that I was going with her on this journey. She squealed with delight when I told her, which of course, made me giggle.

The days after that phone conversation are still a blur to me. I went from elated one moment to crying the next. I was overwhelmed that the Lord Of All Creation would want to bless me with such a gift.

I simply did not feel worthy of it..........

16 comments:

sa061545@bellsouth.net said...

Oh, my baby girl, you are SO WORTHY of going on this trip!!! You have walked through the fire and come through a survivor!!! You go and enjoy every moment!!! (And you can write my name in the sand! :)
I LOVE YOU AND AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

Mom

Tina said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!
I'm SO happy for you!!
That is a dream vacation, how cool!

When!?!?!?!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A journey of this lifetime! What an incredible gift.

peace~elaine

My Blessings From Above said...

That is just amazing! I am so happy for you! I can't wait to hear all about your trip! It's going to be fantastic, Amy! :)

Mia said...

Like I told you....goose-bumpily!! Its such a God thing isn't it? Meanwhile, I need to read more from Anne Cetas!!

Tricia said...

Oh I was hopping that was going to be the outcome!! That will be so wonderful!! And just think of all the blog material!!!!
When do you get to go on your vacation? And I am sorry, I am a little envious! With a 2 and a 3 year old, I an envious of anyone who gets to go anywhere without tag-alongs : )

valerie said...

After reading your post a while back when you were looking for a swim suit and a promise of more exciting details to come, I was really hoping this was what you were going to add today.
Amy, I am so happy for you!
Although I don't know you well and have never "met" you, I sat here with tears in my eyes so happy to see how God is blessing you.
Ps. 37:4 is one of my very favorite verses. When we truly delight in Him, He gives us the desires of our hearts. What happens is we are delighting in Him so much and taking our minds off ourselves that we don't want anything that's not His will for us and then He just delights us over and over.
When is this dream trip?
Wow...again, I'm excited for you and am thankful everything is working out.
Love,
Valerie

Gina said...

WOW!! What an amazing story! I am so excited for you. You are going to have a wonderful time. I look forward to reading about it on your blog. :)

Gina

Tracey said...

AMAZING!! ENJOY THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME! Take lots of pictures for us. We will miss hearing from you!

Paula V said...

You DO deserve it and it is a divine gift from our Father!

I wrote a blog post on Delighting in Him. If you haven't read it, I invite you to and any of the other ladies.

It's a wonderful opportunity but if anything I'm envious of God's miracle of restoration in your life five years ago!!!! You know why!
Paula

Paula V said...

I've been meaning to tell you I love how you mark words out...it is hilarious to have your thoughts marked out and then reword it.

Also, I wanted to tell you I love Leslie Sansone videos. I have two but I'm currently only doing one...it's just easy and great exercise. I think it's much better than walking outside b/c it uses so many muscles!!

Jamie said...

How exciting!!! That is such a huge blessing. I am so thrilled for you and can't wait to read all about it.

This quote really jumped out at me today:
"Contentment comes when God's will is more important than our wants."
Thanks so much for sharing...I needed it!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, Amy. first time here! You have a lovely blog and family, and I am so happy for you about this trip. I have been blessed similarly in the past; it's overhwelming, isn't it?!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I am SOOO happy for you!!! And you are so very worthy of this dream vacation! Go - have fun - and write your name in that sand. Of course, we'll be expecting a full blogging report w/ pictures included. :)

Laura said...

OH. MY. WORD. Do you hear me screaming in joy for you??? What an amazing gift! I cannot wait to hear about this God spot in your life! Promise, promise, promise you won't leave out a single detail. And pictures, please. How long do we have to get you ready? Oh, my. I"m all aflutter!
And thank you, my friend, for your sweet words of comfort on my blog. I felt your hug for this "little girl" and feel so blessed by it. It means so much.

Chris and Wanda said...

I am counting the days with you, my friend! I have literally written the day down on my calendar back when you told me. I think about you and pray that the Lord will help you prepare, both literally and emotionally, for such a wonderful trip. I am so excited for you and am continually amazed at the God that we serve.