Saturday, March 22, 2008

Honor Him

1 Corinthians 4:1-5
So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.


The decisions and choices that I make regarding my life, need to honor Christ.
At the end of my time on this earth, it only matters what God's opinion of my life is. He is the only One that I will have to answer to for my actions. He is the only One that I need to strive each day to please.

There is a scene from the movie Saving Private Ryan that is a wonderful illustration of living a life that honors the price that was paid for it. If you have not seen the movie, here is a summary of it.

After leading a company of Rangers in the battle for Omaha beach on D-Day, Captain John Miller is sent on a mission to find paratrooper Private James Ryan and bring him home safely. Ryan's three brothers have all been killed in action and the Brass want him returned to his family. He is fighting with his unit somewhere inland, but no-one knows where.
Miller chooses seven men for this dangerous mission. The squad picks its way across the devastated countryside - losing two members in skirmishes with the Germans. Eventually, they find Ryan dug in with his unit and awaiting a German counter attack. He refuses to leave his comrades and Miller agrees that his squad will stay to help them defend their position. The Germans attack in overwhelming numbers and Miller and most of his squad are killed, but Ryan survives and makes it home.


This clip I have to show you comes at the very end of the movie.
As you watch it, think about the sacrifice that Jesus made for you and for me.
We, as Christians, need to live lives that honor Him. We need to live lives worthy of His sacrifice for us.



Thank you, Lord, for the sacrifice You made for me.
I pray that my life brings glory and honor to You.

I wrote this post last week as I was preparing myself for Easter. Just yesterday I heard this sermon by Pastor Paul Sheppard titled "He's Looking For You". In the movie Saving Private Ryan, Captain Miller was looking for Private Ryan to save his life. Jesus is looking for you in that same way; He knows your name. He is searching for you, because He wants to save your life. Let that sink in. He loves you!

No comments: