Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Little Update And A Bloggy Award

I had my back surgery on July 3rd, and unfortunately I am still having some issues. I called my neurosurgeon last week, and he told me that what I am dealing with is a form of traumatic neuritis. Which simply means that there has been some trauma to my nerves. He said that it could take another month or another year to heal completely. And even then, with the nerve damage that I have experienced, my new normal may not be the same as my old normal.

The symptoms that I am dealing with are back pain, leg and foot cramps, along with burning, redness, and tenderness in my right foot, all of which cause me to walk with a limp. (Which I like to tell Shannon is all the rage now with the runway models.)



Sigh.

He wants to see me October 13th, and if I am still having the same symptoms at that time, there are a couple of things he may have me do. One is to wear a back brace, and two is more bed rest. In the mean time, he said that if I cook dinner or clean up the kitchen (for example), I need to lie down for an hour or two afterward to rest my back. Right now, even grocery shopping is too much walking for me; I just can't be on my feet for very long at all without suffering the consequences.

Needless to say, as a wife and homeschooling mother of two, that is not what I wanted to hear. Don't get me wrong, resting and a back brace are much better alternatives than another surgery, but lying down all of the time is not always very convenient.

He told me that I was going to have to be patient. He said to me, "Where do you think the term for patients comes from? It comes from the word patient, because patients have to be patient while they are healing."

I had never heard that before, but he is definitely right. I need to be patient. And I am sorry to say that is not always my strong point. But that is exactly what God's Word tells me to do.

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.


I looked up the meanings for the word "patient."

1: bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint
2: manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain
3: not hasty or impetuous
4: steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity
5: able or willing to bear


It is never not always easy or convenient, but I am trying.

So now, after I do some of my housework.....



......I try to lie down for an hour or two, just like the doctor said.



I am trying each day to be patient just like God and the doctor ordered.

Hebrews 6:15
And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.


It looks like I may be in for a long journey on this road to healing, but I know that God is with me each step of the way. And I know that just like with the changing of the seasons, this too shall pass.

James 5:7-8
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.


And speaking of the changing seasons, you know the old saying, "When it rains, it pours?" Well, it has been pouring on my family lately.

Last Friday, I had to carry my dad to the doctor. Long story short, he is not in good health. He has heart disease, and his heart is not functioning very well right now. Tomorrow (Friday) I am going to the hospital with him. He has been scheduled for a Cardiac Catheterization, and they won't know what needs to be done for him until they get in there and take a look. He could need stints, or worse case scenario, triple bypass surgery.

My mom is also waiting to have knee replacement surgery on October 6th, and she just had a nerve block this past Wednesday (yesterday). She is having a very difficult time physically as well as emotionally with so much going on.

I'm not telling you all of this to whine or complain, just to let you know what is going on in my life, and if you don't see me around blog land very much for a bit, you will know why. So, if you feel led to do so, please pray for my family.

I completely trust God with whatever is on the road ahead of us, but in my human skin, it can be just a bit overwhelming at times.

Psalms 112:7
"He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord."


And now for a bit of fun and happy news, I want to shout out a big, "Thank you," to JJ at the Dirty Laundry blog for giving me this bloggy award. This means so much to me, JJ; thank you for thinking of me.



Sigh.

Now it's my turn to hand over the award!

The rules of this award are:
1. The winner can put the logo on his/her blog.
2. Link the person you received your award from
3. Nominate and link to at least 7 or 20 other blogs.
4. Leave a message on the blogs of the people you've nominated.


So, without further ado, I am passing this award to:

Shelly at Smiling Shelly's Stories

Tina at Golden Goodness

Dianne at Deez Dayz

Mia at Mama Mia

Gina at Beandip Blog

Laura at The Wellblog

Liz at Mabel's House

Michele at My Blessing's From Above

Valerie at Valerie

Mari at Mari's Morning Room

Of course, I wanted to pass this to all of my bloggy buddies (and some of you already have one from me), but I ran out of time adding names, so please know, that if I am a regular at your blog, this award is for you too. Please take it from me, and pass it on to all of your favorite bloggy buddies.

That's all for now folks. Thanks for your time today, and thank you for your prayers.
I will give you all an update, as soon as I can, on how my dad is doing.
I am so thankful for each and every one of you.
God Bless,
Amy:)

21 comments:

Aleisha said...

Wow! Good luck with your mom and dad as well as yourself. I know what you mean about the bed rest as well. It doesn't fly with two little ones and one on the way. It actually bites to say the least. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. And may you be blessed with patients. =o)

Tracey said...

I will update the prayer list to add your mom and dad....some unsolisited advice.....if financially possible....why not get a housekeeper....or a service...so you can concentrate on getting better and you can safe your strength for the non mundain stuff.....!! Anyway...just my opinion...by the way...those new photos of yourself you added to this post....come on girl...put some clothes on ....I know I said your husband shouldn't wear a shirt...but really....now...your a mom...have you no shame!! God Bless...have a great day!!!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Wow! So much going on for you right now. I will pray for patience, healing and a blessing or two for you. God bless!

Gina said...

I will be praying for you and your family Amy. Please update us about your Dad when you can.

God be with you my friend,
Gina

P.S. Thanks for the award. You are too sweet. :)

Tina said...

I'll definitely pray for you and your parents...you're right, it is pouring right now, wow.

I know you wanted better news from the doctor, but I'm glad you're trying to find the positive side. Be PATIENT. Don't overdo anything. Nothing is as important as your healing properly...not even shopping for a Vera Bradley purse in Frankly Scarlet.

Thank you for the award, my friend!

Nicole said...

Oh Amy, I am so sorry your leg and back are healing slower than expected. I am praying for you and your family. May this season in your life grow some beautiful crops!!!

Love,
Nicole

Dee said...

Firstly, let me say thank you so much for the award, I appreciate that you love my blog, I love yours too, if I could send it right back I would. Mwah dahlink!

I hope that the sun comes out soon for you and that all will be well with you and your folks. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as always, and I even thought of you this afternoon while I was out shopping, I saw a cute little smart car and thought, I wish I had my camera!

Love to the boys and Allie and big hugs for you. And I miss seeing you around blog land, hope to see you soon agian - but no pressure - I'm just saying.

Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com said...

Amy,

You're a strong woman. Your praise & faith in our Lord is sweet music in this noisy world. To read His comforting Scripture mixed with your sense of humor that He has blessed you with, lifts my spirit.

Thank you for sharing your love for the Lord with us.

The Laundress said...

Hugs to you and your Dad!

Mia said...

Okay you are officially an inspiration! No, I mean it. With all that going on you have time to bestow awards,humor and take awesome pics of yourself in blogland.
I am praying for you dear friend and your mom and dad and your boys,Shannon and Allie....did I leave anyone out? I hope not!
Remember when we pray for patience God gives us opportunities to be patient. (Thanks Morgan Freeman) Well God has handed you some doozies in the past few months. Here is my life verse, I am sharing it with you...claim it!!

"No trial that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down, He'll never let you be pushed past your limit, He'll always be there to help you through it."
1 Corinthians 10:13 The Message

Weeksie50 said...

Wow- You are going through alot. I am glad you are looking to the scriptures for comfort! My prayer is that you find the strength you need to overcome the obstacles before you. I will also pray for your parents as they face the different surgeries before them..

I would take advantage of that bed rest stuff.. : ) You should get a bell..so that Shannon can come running when you need him : ;)

Whitney said...

Praise the Lord that you know where to run during trials. Keep your head up, pretty lady! :)

Karma said...

praying for you! Good luck with absoultely everything!!!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about "when it rains it pours". Praying for your family...and my hubby LOVES Jennifer!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Amy,

I am so sorry to hear about your back...I know that you must endure a lot of pain daily. I can't imagine trying to keep up with your schedule and trying to lay down that much.

You are right...when it rains it does pours...thinking about you and your family...you have a lot on your plate!

Lisa

Laura said...

Thank you for this sweet award, Amy (I love your blog!). I am so sorry about the challenges you and your family are facing right now. I'll keep praying for you, my friend. You have been through so much! You have it right: place it all in His hands.
love,
laura

3Strands said...

Be praying for you and youre family, hope mom and dad find healing in Gods hands and all goes well, hope you as well get to feeling better and back heals along with numbness, God does answer our prayers sometimes we have to sit quietly and listen to answer-----take care Bo

TnFullQuiver said...

Amy,
I will be praying for you and your family. The Lord never gives us more than we can handle. Just keep your eyes on Him during all of this, and know you have friends here in East Tennessee praying for you and your mom and dad.
By the way, I LOVE your new blog look. You have done a fantastic job!
grace and peace,
julie

Tracey said...

I'm sending a little bloggy love you way this week...don't tell me not to because I already am...so there...also...if you haven't already read THE SHACK, don't buy a copy...I want to give it to you! Don't say don't unless you've already read it...otherwise you are getting a copy from me!! Love ya...God Bless.

My Blessings From Above said...

Amy,
I'm praying for you and your parents. You are going through so much! I'll be lifting you up!
Love,
Michele

Unknown said...

Amy:

Thanks for the award. Your family is in my prayers!