Sunday, September 21, 2008

Update On My Dad

I wanted to give you all an update on my dad's condition.

After his heart cath on Friday, the doctor's let us know what they had discovered.

First of all, he will have to have triple bypass surgery, because his blockages are very severe.

Secondly, he has an abdominal aortic aneurysm. After further testing on that, they discovered that it is 4 cm; they typically only operate on them once they reach 5 cm, so for now, they will just keep a close eye on it.

He will be having his bypass surgery on Monday at 1:00 pm, if all goes according to plan.

He is, obviously, very overwhelmed right now. They kept him in the hospital for the weekend, so that they could do further testing on him, and also so that they could keep an eye on his blood pressure and heart rate. Not to mention they are giving him meds to help calm his nerves.

God has shown himself to us over and over since we have been at the hospital. People from my mom's Sunday school class, have already been up to the hospital to visit and pray over him.

And as it turns out, my mom and dad's next door neighbor is the church chaplain, so that was very comforting for my dad to see her and have her pray for him.

Not to mention the pulmonologist that came in to see him and talk about his lung functions prayed for him. We had never had a doctor to do that before, so it was needless to say, very comforting.

As I was walking to his room yesterday, I noticed a little jar on a counter near the waiting room. There was a sign by the jar that said something like, "Grab your blessing for today."

So, I said a little prayer for my dad, and I grabbed a "blessing" for him.

This is what his "blessing" said.

Psalms 13:5-6

"I trust your love,

and I feel like celebrating

because you rescued me.

You have been good to me, LORD,

and I will sing about you."


I am saving this for him, because I feel like after he recovers and is on the way to better health, that he will know that he knows that it was God that rescued him. What a blessing! Amen?

I thank you all for your prayers for my family, and as soon as I am able, I will post an update to let you all know how my dad is doing.



God Bless,
Amy

Psalms 119:76
"May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant."


30 comments:

Tracey said...

I've added your dad to todays prayer list and I'll add him in on next week too. God Bless. Tracey

Gina said...

I will be praying for your Dad and for your family.

God bless,
Gina

My Blessings From Above said...

Thank you for updating us. Praying for you dad as he goes through his surgery tomorrow!
Hugs,
Michele

Tina said...

Wow, Amy.

I will be praying for your dad tomorrow...for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

Nicole said...

What a sweet picture of you and your daddy! I will be praying. Thanks for the update. God is so good! What a cool scripture blessing He gave you and your dad!

Love,
Nicole

Unknown said...

Amy:
I'll be praying for your dad and your family. I pray you all have peace about this, knowing God is in control. Blessings to you!

Mari

Weeksie50 said...

Aw, what a sweet picture of you and your Daddy. I will pray for your Dad and your family.

Weeksie50 said...

I left something for you over at my blog..

valerie said...

I just love when God sends special people our way. The verse is especially sweet.

I will keep your daddy in my prayers.

God bless your family.
Love,
Valerie

Kelly said...

You and your dad are in my prayers, Amy......beautiful picture of you and your dad at the close of your blog.
Just beautiful.....

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Prayers from this corner, too!!

Mia said...

oh wow amy!! now that is SOME blessing! thank you for sharing it. The girls and I will have very special prayer for your Dad today. I just want to say that you should thank God for every minute you have with your parents and I know you do. I miss mine so much!
I am praying for you everyday girl! You are a very special person!

3Strands said...

we will be praying for youre dad and you that God gives you a peace about the surgery and God holds youre dad in His arms as he goes through this and pray that all goes well, take care....Bo

SKY4KAT said...

I think that is so awesome that God placed so many believers in your path like the chaplain, and Dr.I love the idea of the little blessing jar. What a wonderful way to share the hope of Jesus. Who put it there? I will pray for you and your family as he is getting close to having the operation now. God bless you all.
Katrina

Whitney said...

Jehovah Rapha - the Lord who heals. Blessings and prayers to you and your family....

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Amy...I am so sorry to hear about your Dad...I will keep your family in my prayers.....

What a beautiful picture of your father.

Blessings,

Lisa

Paula V said...

I love the idea of getting/having little blessings in the hospital. It always surprises and delightfully amazes me when I see scripture in public or people unexpectantly praying.

Love,
Paula

Smiling Shelly said...

Thanks for the update. I am praying for your dad, as well as you and the rest of your family. I hope you all are holding up okay through this trying time.

(Big Hugs)

Laura said...

I'm praying...
That is such a beautiful picture of baby you and daddy! My goodness, you look like your daddy!
Keep us posted.
luv to you.

Anonymous said...

Just reading this Amy. Praying now! I'm in tears here. Your post was so sweet. I'm a Daddy's girl too.





Oh, I was coming over to give you an award and almost forgot. He's in my prayers, sis. Love you.

Jenny said...

I will be praying for you all. I think that was a huge blessing having a doctor pray with him,

Jenny

Weeksie50 said...

I hope all is well I have been praying for you and your family!

Power Up Love said...

Would you please consider writing and sharing your story, struggles, or testimonies to be posted on PowerUpLove.com? There are other people going through the same sort of things. It encourages others to hear when other people have the same desires, same disappointments, and same struggles.

We don’t rejoice in other people’s struggles or anything, but we rejoice in the fact that we’re not alone in carrying our burdens. We’re uplifted when we know someone is praying specifically re: particular areas in our life, just as they are encouraged knowing we’re praying for them. My heart aches when I see and realize that if I cry when my friends cry, hurt when they hurt, and I’m human…imagine how God responds to us when we’re hurting and we turn to Him for solace. What a revelation that is! Jesus is such a great listener, especially when our mind is racing..

“And we know that all things God works for the good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose.” – Romans 8:28

sa061545@bellsouth.net said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sa061545@bellsouth.net said...

Hey, everybody - this is Amy's Mom - she's staying with her Dad tonight at the hospital - he's still in ICU but hopefully will go to a room tomorrow. One of our pastors prayed that his surgery be "textbook" or "better than textbook" and it truly seems that prayer was answered!!! It is unreal how God has been with us through this journey - for me and Amy and John, it was not a surprise for their Dad to have to have bypass as he has fought this battle for years. BUT God was in every part of this whole experience for us! He was hurting pretty bad this morning but they got him up in a chair, later on he walked a bit, and actually fed himself his supper. He still has a journey ahead - the cardiologist just came in and told him he was going to have to have a "Come to Jesus party" about quitting smoking. However, so far he has not even mentioned craving one, etc. If this experience doesn't make him stop, nothing will so continue to pray for that issue. Thanks so much to all of you for holding our family in your thoughts and prayers! You are a wonderful bunch of thoughtful individuals and have made my precious Amy's life these last few months such a joy!
Love to all,
Sandra :) (Amy's Mom)

Jamie said...

Praying for your family!

Kristen said...

Amy,
Been thinking about you, praying for your papa and your family.
K

Jamie said...

I'm still praying today!

My Blessings From Above said...

Thanks for the update, Sandra. I'm praying for your dh and your family!
Love,
Michele

Nicole said...

Hi Amy! Was thinking about you this morning. Hope everything is continuing to go well. Sandra thanks for the update. Praying for your family!

Love,
Nicole