Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Monday.....all day long!

Monday always seems like the most challenging day of the week to me.

Yesterday was no exception.

It was Monday all day long.

I overslept.

As I was getting my first cup of coffee, the dog threw up in the living room floor.

I woke both of the boys up to discover they were both sick.

The sink was full of dishes that I was too exhausted to do the night before. (Sorry, FlyLady!)

The laundry was piled up.

I had a very large stack of school papers to grade and record from the previous week.

I don't even want to discuss the dust on everything!

Now, I realize in the big scheme of things, none of this is really important...but it sure can overwhelm me....... on Mondays.

Instead of trying to tackle all of my To Do List, I decided to first sit down and read my daily devotionals. Here is one of the verses I read.

James 4:8a
Come near to God and he will come near to you.


I'm so thankful for those words. They encouraged my overwhelmed soul.

I came across another verse that I had written in the back of my Bible.

1 Corinthians 14:40
But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.


It's funny how many times I hurry around trying to get everything done before I spend time with God, and seem to get absolutely nothing accomplished. But, when I spend time with God first, everything else seems to fall into place.

Mark 1:35
Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went off to a solitary place where he prayed.


Jesus knew that He needed time alone with His Father before facing all the demands that would be placed on Him throughout the day.
I try to remember that Scripture when I get my priorities confused, which unfortunately happens a lot, especially on Mondays.
If Jesus needed that time alone with God, I need it so much more.

After my quiet time with God, I started tackling the day. One chore step at a time. I didn't even start crying get overwhelmed when Matthew informed me that he had accidentally stepped in another pile of dog throw up in the hall........

Now, if that doesn't prove God was near to me, nothing will.:)

No comments: